Saturday, November 18, 2017

Village life in Slovakia

As I mentioned in some of my blog posts, Slovakia has very old culure, so we have some villages here, that are older than you might think.


In probably every country by now a lot of their villages have probably gone sort of more modern than they have before. Indeed that happened to Slovakia as well. But if you se avillage it is defenitely not going to be completely modern. There will probably be some houses that are just old and without an owner, just being there with nothing in it and nothing is happening with it. A lot of those houses are here in Slovakia, especially in those villages. Some might be just without an owner for a few years, so it is not that bad. But some have been just standing there for about 300 years! There can be also a lot of ruined houses, like this one:




That is right. A lot of old, wooden and small houses you could find in Slovakia. Especially if you are at  village in the mountains, because we have a ot of villages as well there.


But how do they actually live in those villages?



Well, as I mentioned before there are a lot of modern houses already over herein Slovakia, so it is like normal living. But some people still own and live in those old houses, they can be renovated but they are still very old and with wooden windows. If you usually see a house like that, there probaly live either a poor family or some good old Slovak grandparents? 





What do I mean by Slovak grandparents you might ask? Well, in this couple you can find obviously a woman (a grandma) and a man (grandpa). The grandma is usually very into the cooking the traditional foods in this situation, while the gandpa just does one of the older jobs, cause they still need to get some money, right? By the older jobs I mean like a job in the woods, or they are just basically retired, but even if they are older they still kind of do their I should say old job. 





A lot of older people have farms with animals like chickens ,sheep or goats. And usually they also have normal farming plants, because they know that good stuff (by that I mean home-made food). I am not saying that only the old houses have to have the farm, the newer ones can have it as well, or the house can just be renovated. 



As I mentioned not that long of a while ago, some people have farm animals. So what do they do with them? They obviously eat them or get the eggs from the chickens or something like that. Back in the day if a family killed their pig for example they used and ate the entire pig! Used the leather for something, made a soup with the bones, ate the meat, even the brain! There was no waste, so props to the "old style" people, do not stop with what you are oding if you are still doing it!

There is another variant of having a house in a village in Slovakia. You  somehow get a place, maybe like one of those super old houses and renovate them, and build more than that! So your house will be bigger and with the stuff that were still in there. Like one f my fathers friends has an old renovated house and it looks very modern, but the truth is inside. Their oven and heat kitchen related stuff like that are provided with their literal oven! So they make a fire under the SPORAK and put wood in it and they do their food on there. That to me is something so cool and I would defenitely love to keep those old style houses around me in my counry so I can be proud of it. Love your country!

Check out my other blog that I do with my mom: https://mymomstylist.blogspot.sk

1 comment:

  1. I am new to Slovakia, so I was confused by what people meant about "villages." This helps, so thanks for clearing that up!

    I love the old style houses, and I hope Slovaks continue to live in them. The culture is so important. Old and new together, is a good thing!

    I'm vegetarian.. but I definitely appreciate it when farmers choose to eat the "whole" animal and not leave anything to waste. This is another tradition that I hope people- who choose to eat meat- can keep.

    Keep the traditions! Thanks for the post :) - Lauren

    ReplyDelete